Please note that our team are partially working from home to help prevent the spread of coronavirus. In the event you experience any difficulties in contacting Qdos via telephone, please email [email protected] and a member of the team will return your call as soon as possible. Until further notice, our contact hours are reduced to 8:30-18:00 Monday-Friday. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Click here to find out more.

Feefo Gold Merchant

Support & Guidance


COVID-19 Support Centre

Contact Qdos Contractor:0116 269 0999

Everything you need to know


COVID-19 Support for the

2020 (and into 2021) has given us challenge after challenge. The outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic that we saw beginning in the early months of 2020 has been the root of some major changes for the self-employed industry.

To keep track of these changes and how they could affect you and your business, we have gathered together the relevant information into a COVID-19 support centre. Here, the self-employed, contractors, and small businesses will find detailed guidance about continuing through a pandemic, put together by our team of industry-leading experts. Covering everything from a near-exhaustive list of self-employment financial support to a detailed break down of the effect of Coronavirus on the off-payroll rules (IR35 reform).


COVID-19 Video Updates


Government Coronavirus Support


Financial Support Schemes


Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS)


Put simply, this scheme offers help towards paying the salaries of any furloughed employees. This is also known as the furlough scheme.

Any businesses that are forced to consider making staff redundancies because of the effects of the Coronavirus pandemic will instead be able to furlough members of staff. Such staff members will receive part of their monthly salary paid for by this scheme.

CJRS will provide up to 80% or £2,500 per month and has recently been extended up until  30th September 2021. The level of support available through the grant will remain the same until 30th June 2021.


In order to be able to claim CJRS for your employees, you must:

  • Have already started a payroll scheme either on or before 30th October 2020.
  • Have enrolled for payroll online.
  • Have a UK, Isle of Man, or Channel Island bank account.

Additionally, you may only claim furlough for those employees who were employed and on payroll before 30th October 2020.

To see exactly who is eligible for this scheme in further detail, see the Government guidance here.

Check if you're eligible for CJRS:

Self-Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS)


Check if you're eligible for SEISS:

This scheme comprises of a series of grants made available to self-employed workers with businesses that have experienced the negative impacts of COVID-19. Each grant covers three months.


  • In order to be eligible for this support, you must be either self-employed or a member of a partnership. If you provide your services through a limited company, you will not be able to access this scheme.
  • You must also have traded for both tax years 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. For the tax year 2018/2019 you must have submitted a Self-Assessment tax return for that year either on or before 23rd April 2020.
  • You must either be currently providing services but facing a reduced demand because of the COVID-19 pandemic, or, were previously providing services but are unable to due to COVID-19. This must, however, be a temporary problem.

Grant 1: Deadline for claims: 13th July 2020

Provides three months’ worth of payment taken from a monthly average over the three previous tax years. There is a limit of £7,500 for this grant.

Grant 2: Deadline for claims 19th October 2020

Provides three months’ worth of payment taken from a monthly average over the three previous tax years. There is a limit of £6,570 for this grant.

Grant 3: Deadline for claims 29th January 2021

Provides three months’ worth of payment taken from a monthly average over the three previous tax years. There is a limit of £7,500 for this grant.

Grant 4: Applicable from February 2021 until April 2021

Provides three months’ worth of payment taken from a monthly average over the three previous tax years. There is a limit of £7,500 for this grant.


For more information on exactly how to apply and whether you are eligible for this scheme, take a look at the dedicated page on the .gov website.


COVID-19 News Updates


More COVID-19 News for the Self-Employed


Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS)


This loan scheme is designed to help companies with amounts up to £5 million, to be repaid over a period of 6 years. In this scheme, using its accredited lenders, the Government will cover any fees and interests for the first year and will guarantee 80% of the loan.

This scheme will now be in place until the end of March 2021.


You may apply for a loan from this scheme in the following circumstances:

  • If your business is based in the UK and has an annual turnover of up to £45 million.
  • If your business were viable if not for the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • If your business has also been negatively impacted by the pandemic.

To find out whether you are eligible for this scheme or any further details, see the Government guidance here.



Check if you're eligible for CBILS



Universal Credit or Contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)


Universal Credit: For any self-employed people unable to claim statutory sick pay during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government are making it easier to claim for Universal Credit or Contributory Employment and Support Allowance. You are no longer required to go to the jobcentre to receive this support.

ESA: Anyone who is limited as to how much they can work due to a disability or health condition will be able to apply for a new form of ESA. This concerns those unable to claim statutory sick pay or those who are or have a child who is self-isolating or ill due to the Coronavirus.

It provides financial help towards living costs if you are unable to work or support to return to work if you are able to.

Through ESA you may be able to claim up to £74.35 per week if you are unable to work, or, up to £113.55 per week if you are unable to return to work.


Check if you're eligible for Universal Credit or ESA

Bounce Back Loan Scheme


These are Government-backed loans varying between £2,000 and £50,000 from a list of accredited lenders. They have the added benefit of having no interest charged and do not require repayment within the first 12 months.

This scheme will now be in place until the end of March 2021.


In order to be eligible to claim a loan from this scheme, your business must fit the following criteria:

  • Be based in the UK.
  • Established before 1st March 2020.
  • Have been ‘adversely’ impacted by Coronavirus.

For a more detailed run-through of the criteria, take a look at the Government webpage here.


Check if you're eligible for the Bounce Back Loan Scheme

Time To Pay Helpline


The Time to pay helpline is a truly valuable resource. This dedicated HMRC helpline is in place for those individuals who, because of COVID-19, require assistance or guidance in paying any tax that is due.

They make it clear on the .gov website that any businesses or those who are self-employed may benefit from the Time To Pay service if they are in financial distress relating to paying their taxes. The service affords those applicable, more time to pay off their debts over a period of time using instalments.

The details of this support vary case to case. Because of this, any support you receive from this service will be tailored to fit your requirements. In order to make this possible, they have not only opened a phone line but a web chat function.

To get the ball rolling with this service, see the dedicated page on the .gov website.


More Time To Pay Corporation Tax


This means that businesses registered with Companies House may apply for an extension to the deadline for filing their accounts. No late payment penalty will be imposed over that three-month extension for those businesses granted it.

By using their application system, you can apply to have an extension to your accounts filing deadline. This gives you more time to file your annual accounts with Companies House. It takes 15 minutes, and all you need is your company number, email address, the reasoning for the extension, and any supporting documents.

You must bear in mind that in order to have an extension granted you will have to complete the application before your normal filing deadline. For more information on Corporation tax, take a look at our Self-Employed Tax Starter Guide.


Mortgage Support For Homeowners


Mortgage payment holidays

Mortgage lenders are offering payment holidays to customers who are struggling financially due to COVID-19. These homeowners are able to start making reduced payments or extend their mortgage holiday a further three months.

You may also be eligible for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI). This means that as a homeowner, you may be able to claim support towards interest payments on your mortgage or any loans you have taken pertaining to repairs or home improvements.

SMI is paid as a loan and will need to be repaid with interest upon either the selling or transfer of ownership of your home.



The Company


About Us

Why Qdos?


Qdos Contractor are one of the leading providers of specialist contractor insurance services in the UK. Our online application process takes only a matter of minutes with all documentation issued instantly. Unlike many other brokers, we don’t hide our premiums until you've provided your details, as we are confident that our premiums, service and product are the best in the market. In addition, Qdos Contractor is one of the leading authorities on the IR35 legislation and have handled well over 1,500 IR35 enquiries on behalf of UK contractors.


Our History


Qdos began in 1988 as a tax consultancy business and has grown significantly over the past two decades, providing expert business services, products and advice. Over the years, Qdos has grown in both size and reputation as a trusted contractor insurance broker as well as an expert tax advisor. Our aim is to provide UK contractors with the assistance and service with IR35 issues they need as well as sustaining excellent quality and competitive premiums in the contractor insurance market.

Need Help?


Call our team on 0116 269 0999
Or arrange a call back

Call back
Chat with us