Tradesman Insurance

Steel-toe boots shouldn’t be your only form of protection on site. Get tradesman insurance from as little as £9.38 per month.
Trusted by over
contractors and freelancers
Cover for over
different construction trades
Average rating
4.7 /5
from our customers
Tradesman holding drill

Insurance for self-employed tradespeople

Our tradesman insurance covers a range of trades; from plumbers and joiners, to glaziers and electricians. We’ve built a reputation for insurance that tradies and subcontractors can trust, with over 30 years’ insuring an industry of flexible workers.

Having the right tradesman insurance protects you from a range of costly claims and could even help to win over potential clients by offering the reassurance that your company is professional and reliable.

Tradespeople often find themselves working on busy sites surrounded by heavy tools and machinery, and in customers’ homes surrounded by their valued possessions. But it’s not only the physical risks that you should be considering; with the potential for a client to claim against your company for errors or mistakes in the work provided, a Professional Indemnity policy might just save your bacon too.

Tradesman smiling holding drill

Public Liability Insurance for Tradesmen

Whether you’re operating as a sole trader or limited company, for those on a busy client site or working in a customer’s home, getting Public Liability Insurance is a no-brainer.

Working on site, tradesmen are susceptible to claims for damage to third party property and, potentially, injury to third parties. A third party could mean your client or any member of the public that happens to pass by. Public Liability Insurance is designed to protect your business in the event of such a claim, covering the legal costs and compensation owed.

Offering a range of limits of cover, you can choose a limit that best fits your business and the work you do. For an additional cost, you can also add Employers Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance for further protection.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are working on site or in a home using tools and equipment, as tradespeople often are, then you are exposed to more physical risks that an office worker might not be.

  • Personal Accident Insurance provides a lump sum should you suffer a bodily injury as a result of an accident. This means that in circumstances where you can’t keep working, you are still able to pay your bills or outstanding invoices.

It’s not only yourself that you might have to consider. Whether there are employees of your company, your clients, or the general public, these extra people on site will be exposed to the exact same risks.

  • Public Liability Insurance protects your business against third party claims of damage to property or injury.
  • Employers Liability protects your company from claims relating to the injury or accidental death of an employee. For limited companies with any employees beyond a sole director, Employers Liability Insurance is required by law.

For tradespeople, and for subcontractors, working on site brings other risks. Whether it’s a fire, flood, or even vandalism, things aren’t always plain sailing.

  • Contractor’s All Risk Insurance covers damage to property caused by a range of different events such as fire, flood, storm, vandalism, or theft. The policy covers:
    • contract works (the building works, property, or structure whilst construction)
    • damage to tools, machinery, and equipment (including heavy machinery and large equipment used in connection with the contract works)
    • employees’ tools and effects

If you offer professional advice or designs as part of your services, you could be at risk of a claim for alleged mistakes.

  • Professional Indemnity Insurance protects your business against claims of negligence, errors, or omissions in the services you provided which in turn, caused your client a financial loss

A self-employed tradesman insurance policy is designed to protect your business should something go wrong. It’s not a specific insurance policy in itself but simply a reference for any policy relevant to self-employed tradespeople. These can include:

  • Public Liability
  • Employers’ Liability
  • Professional Indemnity
  • Contractors’ All Risk
  • Personal Accident

Tradesman insurance covers your business for the financial consequences if the worst happens. For most policies, this will be the legal costs and compensation found owing if someone made a claim against your business, however there are other tradesman policies which react in different circumstances. Please view each policy for specific information about what is covered.
Why Qdos?
Self-employment is our everything. In fact, we’ve been specialists in the industry since 1988.

Not just tradesman insurance, we can also help you with the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), IR35, and other tax matters. 
All of our policies include the following as standard:
A dedicated Account Manager
We'll never pass you around a call centre
Online account for 24/7 access
Manage your policies at a time that suits you
Free IR35 Contract Assessment
Because IR35 compliance starts with the written contract

Have a question?

Ask away! One of our team will get back to you

Prefer to talk to us in person?

Call our team on 0116 269 0999 or we can call you back at a time that suits you!